Instead of finishing what feels like about a million jobs that we have started – like repairing our living room lighting, painting the garage door and adjusting doors that don’t close, we got slightly carried away this weekend and started yet another job – that also isn’t completely finished.
As the weather was lovely, the plan was to finishing the garage door painting, but for some reason we got distracted and decided to undertake some other exterior painting instead.
This is what the exterior of our house looked like when we moved in.
It doesn’t exactly look inviting, does it? We lovingly used to call it the “Messy House On The Corner”. For about the past year, after replacing the decorative timber on the small gable over the bay window, it has looked like this.
It’s still messy, but definitely an improvement.
By now, I’m sure you have guessed what we have been working on this weekend. Yep, it’s the render around the office window. The window with the stained glass is new, but the surrounding area is just a dirty mess.
We started by filling some small cracks and holes.
Then, as Jan isn’t the neatest person ever, I did the cutting in before Jan painted the remaining area.
The contrast between the old render and the new white paint is amazing. We had looked at other exterior paint colours, but think that a white rendered area will match the black and white woodwork on the gable over the bay window.
It’s important to choose paint that is breathable, so that any vapors from the inside of the house can escape through the walls. If the moisture can’t escape, it could lead to mold.
All in all we applied two coats of paint, but now that the area has completely dried, we will apply another coat of paint.
This is what it looks like now.
And here’s the side by side before and after picture.
It’s amazing what a difference a bit of paint and a few hours of work can make!
The garden wall and in particular the gateposts, which are almost falling down, need repairing and rebuilding, the little ledge over the window needs painting, the porch needs rebuilding, the gable wall needs painting, the timber fascia boards need repairing and painting… the list goes on and on…but all in all it is starting to look a bit better.