Every now and then we like to take a break from DIY and take time to find some nicer things than plasterboard or nails to improve our home. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve actually come to enjoy DIY, but we’ve also realized that it’s necessary to take a step back everynow and then to motivate ourselves for the next projects – which in our case usually means living in a mess for weeks on end. Seeing nice things that we can add to our more finished home is also something that motivates us and here are a few things that we’re loving at the moment.
1. Our fourth bedroom has undergone a huge transformation over the last few months. Whilst most of the building work has been completed, the room is still looking rather sparse. As well as all finishing touches, a bit more furniture would be a good idea. We already have two of these Componibili storage units that we use as night tables in our main bedroom. They’re really handy and we think that one would work well in our little fourth bedroom, too.
2. I’m really not a great cook, so anything that can make life in the kitchen easier has got to be a good thing. These colourful graters look so pretty and I’m sure they’d make a great addition to our small collection of cooking utensils.
3. An inevitable part of doing so much DIY is the dirt and mess that comes with it. Not ideal when you dislike cleaning as much as I do. Whilst this little gadget won’t help with the dust from our building work, it would at least keep our pots and pans looking good.
4. Sometimes it’s nice to just add pretty things to our home. Two of these pretty carafes (one for oil and one for vinegar) would not only look pretty on our kitchen counter, they’d be super practial, too.
5. Something that’s also high on the list for our fourth bedroom is adding more lighting. We’ve just installed a ceiling pendant and think that this table lamp would make a great bedside light.
6. I love this cowhide rug and think it would look perfect in our dining room. There are also two other cowhide rug designs to choose from. Now all I have to do is convince Jan that it’s a good idea, too.
7. Now that our garden is starting to look a bit better (the new turf is growing well and we’ve finished building our fence – more on that soon!) we’d love to add some pretty garden lounge furniture. The table and chairs we have are great, but it would be lovely to have a more relaxed lounge area, too. Something like this outdoor furniture set would be perfect.
What do you have on your wishlist? What do you do to keep motivated?